May 24, 2024

Philippines formalizes bid to host FIVB Volleyball World Men’s Championship 2025

Philippines formalizes bid to host FIVB Volleyball World Men’s Championship 2025
Present in the special meeting were volleyball advocate Senator Pia Cayetano, Tourism Secretary Christina Garcia Frasco, FIVB brass Volleyball World CEO Finn Taylor, and Chief Business Officer Guido Betti.

The Philippines formalized on Thursday its bid to host the FIVB Volleyball World Men’s Championship 2025, where 31 of the world’s best teams plus the host’s national team will compete from September 12 to 28.

“As they say, teamwork makes the dream work and this meeting is a first major step towards the dream of a successful bid and eventual hosting of the men’s world championship,” said Philippine National Volleyball Federation (PNVF) president Ramon “Tats” Suzara during the special briefing of the country's bid.

Present in the meeting were sports and volleyball advocate Senator Pia Cayetano, Tourism Secretary Christina Garcia Frasco, FIVB brass Volleyball World CEO Finn Taylor, and Chief Business Officer Guido Betti.

The Philippine bid rides the momentum of the PNVF’s successful staging of the Volleyball Nations League (VNL).

“The VNL last year at the MOA Arena was the best event of the VNL and we had 14 stops around the world,” Finn said. “It shows that the Philippines has embraced the best of volleyball and we were able to see that not only the fans embraced the players but teams embraced the fans.”

“They can’t wait to come back,” Finn added.

Betti said: “We see a massive potential in the Philippines. We decided to bring the VNL here two years ago and the fandom was crazy. We’re overwhelmed and with that being said, players will be happy to comeback.”

“Love from the people here was unique that all the volleyball players are dreaming for,” Betti added.

The PNVF hosted two weeks—men and women—of the VNL at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum in 2022 and a men’s leg at the SM Mall of Asia Arena last year. Both major venues are again eyed for next year’s world championship.

Also gracing the occasion were Philippine Sports Commission chairman Richard Bachmann; Philippine Olympic Committee secretary-general Atty. Warton Chan who represented president Abraham “Bambol” Tolentino; Jennifer Reyes and Monica Mitra representing Senator Alan Peter Cayetano; Erwin Lozano representing Senator Sonny Angara; and Sienna Olaso, vice president for Channels and Content at Cignal TV Inc.

Representatives from the Mall of Asia Arena, United Promotions Inc. of the Araneta Group Management and the Tourism Promotions Board also attended the meeting.

“I’m here to support and express the commitment of our government, specifically the DOT, to ensure that the Philippines’ bid to host this global event is likely successful,” Frasco said.

The Philippines hasn’t been to the men’s world championship since the 1974 edition in Mexico.

The FIVB and Volleyball World will make a formal announcement of the successful bid by the end of March.