Not bad for someone who became an infamous sports figure last year.
John Amores has been on the road to redemption since running amok in an NCAA game last year.
Now Amores got another chance to prove he is far from that ugly version of himself after being picked by NorthPort Batang Pier in the PBA Draft on Sunday.
“Ito ‘yung umpisa para maitama ko at maipakita sa mga tao na gagawin ko ‘yung para sa ikakabuti ng career ko,” Amores, drafted in the fifth round, told reporters at the Market! Market! in Taguig.
The former JRU Heavy Bomber assaulted several players from College of St. Benilde Blazers in a melee that resulted in his expulsion from the team.
Days after, Amores reached out to the Blazers and personally apologized.
He has been trying to rebuild his image since then, even saying this draft was his last chance at that. He played for the Zamboanga Valientes in the ASEAN Basketball league, became part of the Muntinlupa Cagers in the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League, then punched his way into the PBA.
NorthPort ultimately gave the 23-year-old the opportunity to continue his journey by tabbing him in the fifth round. When team manager Pido Jarencio announced the team was selecting Amores, he raised his fist and flashed a grin, probably in reference to the brawl.
Amores is not wasting this one, knowing that he can give what's needed on the court.
“Gagawin ko lang pinaka-best ko. Kung ano matutulong ko, kung ano kailangan ng team, especially defense ‘yun ipo-provide ko,” he said.
In a league where physicality and taunting could intensify any night, it is hoped Amores can manage his temper.