For the third time since winning the belt last year, WBC minimumweight champion Melvin “El Gringo” Jerusalem will defend his crown against South Africa’s Siyakholwa Kuse this October at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
Fifty years after the “Thrilla in Manila” etched the Philippines into boxing lore, another Filipino fighter is stepping into the same ring with history in the backdrop.
WBC minimumweight champion Melvin “El Gringo” Jerusalem will defend his title against Siyakholwa Kuse of South Africa at the Smart Araneta Coliseum on Wednesday, October 29.
It marks Jerusalem’s (24-3, 12 KOs) third defense. The bout will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the historic heavyweight clash between two boxing legends, Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, which took place in the Philippines and ended with Ali prevailing.
Behind the event is MP Promotions, run by eight-division boxing champion Manny Pacquiao, who visited President Bongbong Marcos on August 29 to rally support for the commemoration.
Pacquiao said he wanted the country to properly honor one of boxing’s most iconic nights.
“So we asked for his support, at sa lahat ng ahensya ng gobyerno para i-celebrate itong 50th anniversary ng ‘Thrilla in Manila,’" Pacquiao said.
That effort now bears fruit, with Jerusalem carrying the torch as the next Filipino to fight for glory at the Big Dome.
[ALSO READ: Manny Pacquiao gets Pres. Bongbong Marcos' support for Thrilla in Manila 50th anniversary]
The 31-year-old captured the belt in Japan last year, edging Yudai Shigeoka by split decision after scoring two knockdowns.
[ALSO READ: New world champ Melvin Jerusalem given hero’s welcome after WBC title victory in Japan]
He has since defended the title twice—beating Mexico’s Luis Castillo in Manila in September 2024 and turning back Shigeoka again via unanimous decision in March in Japan.
[ALSO READ: Melvin Jerusalem outclasses Luis Castillo to defend WBC minimumweight world championship]
Jerusalem was originally set to face former IBF champion Daniel Valladares, but visa issues forced the Mexican to withdraw, paving the way for the South African challenger instead.
Kuse 9-2-1 (4 KOs) is riding a six-fight winning streak since longtime domestic rival Bangile Nyangani edged him via 12-round majority decision in July 2021.
The 22-year-old pugilist is coming off a 10-round unanimous decision win over Samuel Salva last May.