Quentin Millora-Brown made a prophet out of coach Tim Cone after hauling down 10 rebounds in Gilas Pilipinas’ 41-point win against Guam in the FIBA World Cup 2027 Asian Qualifiers.
Moments after announcing Quentin Millora-Brown’s inclusion in the Gilas Pilipinas lineup for the FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers, coach Tim Cone said he saw the young big man as someone who can help them in rebounding department.
Cone couldn’t be any more correct.
QMB didn’t waste time in proving coach Tim right, hauling down 10 rebounds, including four on the offensive side, in his Gilas debut against Guam Friday. The Philippines won by 41 points.
“He’s a tremendous rebounder; he’s a tremendous weak side rebounder,” Cone said during the sendoff Monday, Nov. 24.
“He’s gonna be able to clean up all the weak side rebounds. He just plays for that kind of effort. He’s got nose for the ball. He’s big and he’s athletic. he can surprise you with some of the things he does.”
[RELATED STORY: Cone says Jericho Cruz 'shocked' Gilas in its rout of Guam in FIBA WC Qualifiers]
The praise didn’t stop there for QMB.
“He doesn’t go out there trying to do stuff he can’t do. It’s not only that great ability but great intelligence that’s gonna land himself to this basketball team,” Cone said of the former UP Fighting Maroon.
“So really impressed how fast he picked up the triangle and all the concepts we’re trying to teach offensively and defensively. He’s gonna a be a big help.”
For his Gilas Pilipinas debut, Millora-Brown also had six points, an assist, and three blocks in almost 18 minutes of action.
With how he’s fared in practice and against Guam so far, Cone only sees tremendous upside for QMB.
“We expect him to play major minutes in this window but still I think that he’s like 24 or 25 years old, give him two or three years, imagine how good he can be,” he said.
[ALSO READ: Guam ace Jonathan Galloway tips hat off to Gilas after loss in FIBA WC Qualifiers]
—
Like most sportswriters, Jan Ballesteros once dreamed of becoming a professional hooper. But he learned the hard way that it’s not for everyone.
He continues to be involved in the sport he loves, but this time as a member of the PBA Press Corps. Aside from primarily covering the PBA, he is also assigned to cover Gilas Pilipinas.